Fr., 18. Sept.|
North Country Fiber Fair 2020
Shaina from YumiYarns will again be attending & teaching at NCFF in 2020! Though YumiYarns won't have a booth in the marketplace this year, Shaina will be teaching 3 knitting classes throughout the weekend. (2 of which are brand new to NCFF!)
Time & Location
18. Sept. 2020, 13:00 – 20. Sept. 2020, 16:00
Watertown, SD, Codington County Extension, 1910 W Kemp Ave, Watertown, SD 57201, USA
About the Event
Classes Shaina is Teaching
(Registration will open closer to the event & will be linked.)
Class 1: Basic Brioche
During this class, students will learn the Basic Brioche Rib Stitch, how to knit Brioche using 1 or 2 colors, how to bind-off and how to read their knitting.
Students will be provided with a free pattern for a Giant Color Shift Brioche Scarf, but in class we will be making a smaller sample piece so that all the techniques will be covered in the time allotted. By the end of class, students will have the necessary skills to complete their scarf on their own.
Students should be comfortable with the following stitches: Cast-On, Knit, Purl, Yarn Over, Bind-Off
I will be providing full copies of the Giant Color Shift Brioche Scarf pattern to all students. No Extra fee.
Materials Needed For the In-Class Sample Piece:
- 50 yards each of at least 2 colors of worsted weight yarn (this can be scrap yarn).
- Circular knitting Needles (straights will not work) 1-2 sizes smaller than what you would normally use for knitting Stockinette on Worsted Weight Yarn. (If you are a tight knitter, go down 1 size. If you knit more loosely, go down 2 sizes.)
Materials Needed For the Giant Color Shift Brioche Scarf:
- Size 7 (4.5 mm) 16" Circular Knitting Needles (straights will not work)
- 3 Balls of Knitpicks City Tweed HW in 3 different colors
- OR About 165 yards each of 3 colors of any Aran/Heavy Worsted Weight Yarn
Class 2: Double the Fun with Multi-Gauge Stitches!
During this class, students will learn the fun technique of adding Multi-Gauge Stitches to their knitting. We'll cover the basics of creating knit stitches that are 2 & 3 times the size of normal stitches & how to add this technique into a pre-existing pattern.
We'll be adding this technique to a simple set of fingerless mitts that students will prepare ahead of time as homework. By the end of class students should be binding off & will have a finished project to take home.
Students should be comfortable with the following: Cast-On, Knit, Purl, Bind-Off, picking up stitches with a crochet hook.
I will be providing full copies of the mitts pattern to all students. No Extra fee. These will be sent upon registration so you have time to complete at least one as your class homework.
Materials Needed for Class:
- A crochet hook in a size similar to the needles used
- Locking Stitch Markers
- Notepad & Pen
- At least 1 homework mitt with stitches live on the needles or
- A 6" swatch with the stitches live on the needles
Class 3: Mosaic Knitting & Magic Fringe Double Whammy
Fringe that appears from nowhere & a stunning yet simple colorwork pattern? This must be magic! In this class we’ll work up a small swatch that you can use afterwards as a cute mug rug (coaster). You’ll learn how simple and fun mosaic knitting is along with my special technique for adding Magic Fringe to any project.
Students will leave with either a completed mug rug or the full skill set to finish their started project at home.
Students should be comfortable with the following stitches: Cast-On, Knit, Purl, Slip, Bind-Off
I will be providing handouts covering Mosaic Knitting Tips & Tricks, a Magic Fringe Tutorial, & the pattern for the Magic Fringe Mug Rug. No Extra fees.
Materials Needed for Class:
- Stitch Markers
- Approx 100 yds each of 2 high-contrast, solid/semi-solid, non-slippery sock yarns
- US 3 (3.25mm) needles, or size to obtain gauge
Gauge: 20 sts x 34 rows / 4” (10 cm) in Garter Stitch, blocked
The 28th annual North Country Fiber Fair will be held on September 18–20, 2020 at the Codington County Extension Complex in Watertown, SD.
Classes start Friday at 1:00 pm. Vendors are open to the public Saturday and Sunday.
Social media hashtags for the event will be: #NCFF2020 and #NorthCountryFiberFair2020. If you wish to tag/ping us, our social media accounts are